Advice for ebay sellers, private and trade

Posted On:

Any craft being sold in Europe should come with three proofs: ownership, VAT status and compliance with the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD).  If any one of these is missing then even offering the craft for sale may constitute a criminal offence.  Hopefully not the case for you, but in case there is any doubt….

We've selected your advert as the boat is likely to have been an import from the US.  

To be RCD compliant your craft either has to have a CE Plate (and supporting documentation) or evidence to support a valid claim to exemption from the RCD.  In the absence of either and if it's afloat, it’s illegal to both use and/or sell the craft; it’s as simple as that.

If you believe your craft to be exempt then why not consider our exemption certificate to give your buyers confidence to proceed.

If you’re unsure, we’ll be happy to provide guidance.  If you are sure, we suggest you state this in your advert but remember, ignorance is no defense, so be sure of the facts first.

Our advice is free, the potential £5,000 fine and a criminal record less so.

There's a wealth of information available on the site so please take a look.


Written By: Rowland Smith

Rowland Smith is a Naval Architect and founder of Gablemarine.  His industry experience includes Lloyds Register, British Shipbuilders Hydrodynamics Ltd, Cammell Lairds, BP Shipping Ltd & Conoco.  He has a degree in Naval Architecture, a Diploma in Marketing (CIM) and an MBA (Cranfield School of Management).  He has also held Director level positions in a number of technology and engineering companies, including CEproof, which provides RCD compliance software to builders. 

American Boat and Yacht Council Logo

Search our website